Registration Closes Aug 18
After School Programs
Early morning care is provided at no additional cost by a Lower School faculty member for students who arrive between 7:30 and 7:50am. Students are then escorted to their homeroom for the start of the academic day.
The Supplemental Program in the Afternoon for Recreation and Knowledge (SPARK) is an after-school program designed to meet the needs of Lower School families who want a safe, structured place for their children to spend time at the end of the school day.
Led by a capable team of GA faculty and staff, SPARK lets children participate in a variety of enriching, age-appropriate activities, including playground games, arts and crafts, sports, performing arts and other creative endeavors.
The SPARK schedule is designed to be flexible. Families can sign up for an occasional afternoon as needed, a few days a week, or every day. We are committed to being available for your child any time your family needs this service.
If you use Daily SPARK more than 3 days per week, see our Full Year options in the Registration and Fees section below.
- Session 1: 2:50-4:30pm, with a pick-up window until 4:45
- Session 2: 4:30-5:30pm, with a pick-up window until 5:45
Please note the following exceptions to our Daily SPARK schedule:
- Extended Day SPARK is offered on days with early dismissal.
- Full Day SPARK is offered on days with no classes.
- Holiday SPARK is offered on Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Good Friday, and certain days of Winter and Spring Break if a minimum of 10 students pre-register.
- Pre-Week SPARK is offered the week leading up to Labor Day at a reduced cost.
After School Activities Programs (ASAPs) are open to all Lower School students, and provide specialized instruction once a week in areas outside of regular SPARK programming. Music ASAPs require full-year commitments, while others are offered by term in Fall, Winter, and Spring. ASAPs are timed to run during the first SPARK session, so students can sign up for an ASAP and the second SPARK session on the same day.
Full Year Music ASAPs
Suzuki Violin and Cello
(1st and 2nd Grades)
Min: 5 | Max: 12
(4th and 5th Grades)
(4th and 5th Grades)
Must also be in Jazz Band
Fall 2019 ASAPs
To be Announced
Stephanie Dempsey, Director of After School Programs
Goals of SPARK
- Safety of Children – SPARK staff will ensure that children are physically safe and emotionally secure at the end of the school day.
- Enrichment for Children – The SPARK program will provide a structured environment for the enrichment of social and specialized skills.
- Service to Parents – Parents and their children are welcomed, recognized, and well cared for by a competent team of individuals.
- Consistency of GA Community – The SPARK program is modeled after the same mission and values of the school, and works in conjunction with Lower School teachers and staff.
Arrival and Dismissal
- SPARK students are to stay in their classroom at dismissal. A SPARK teacher will come and check in students, and bring them to their designated SPARK space.
- There are two carline dismissal times from SPARK, 4:30-4:45pm and 5:30-5:45pm. During these dismissal periods, parents are to pick up in the bus lane (driveway along the Leas and McLean playgrounds).
- Students must be picked up by an individual who is 16 years of age or older who is on the approved pick-up list.
- Due to SPARK staff supervising groups of students, they are not available to escort individual students to other areas of campus to participate in non-SPARK sponsored programs. If your child is enrolled in a non-SPARK program on campus during SPARK hours, parents need to arrange for someone 16 years of age or older (on an approved pick-up list) to provide supervision and transportation to that program. Students in SPARK who participate in private instrumental lessons after school are transported to and from lessons by their private instrumental instructors.
- Students may be picked up at any time during SPARK hours. When a parent picks up their child outside of the carline time, they should park in a parking spot and walk to the SPARK Room (Multipurpose Room) to sign their child out.
- Children must stay on the sidewalk or under the pavilion along the bus lane.
- Children must enter their car on the curb side.
- For everyone's safety and to keep the traffic flowing, please do not get out of your vehicle during carline.
- Drivers should disengage gears or put cars in "Park" while picking up children.
- Drivers may not use cell phones while driving on school grounds.
SPARK Student Citizenship and Expectations
Student expectations regarding citizenship, behavior and playground safety are exactly the same as those during the school day and are supported by the GA Mission Statement, Civility Pledge, Lower School expectations and disciplinary procedures. Our systems of support and accountability are built upon trust, responsibility, and respect.
All After School Programs billing takes place on the ACTIVE Network, which makes it easy to schedule programming that is right for your family. Custom filters let you explore all of the programming described above. Once you select your program, you will be asked to create an account and register a credit card. This card will be automatically billed according to your selected payment plan, and you can add additional programming to your account at any time. Students can only attend SPARK if they are first registered into ACTIVE.
Daily SPARK (regular school days) – $14.00 per session
For families who take advantage of SPARK on an as-needed basis. You may register in advance (on ACTIVE) or on the same day (with a Blue Note to the Lower School Office). A Blue Note is required every time there is a change from your normal dismissal. Fees are applied at registration.
Full Year Daily SPARK (regular school days) – $2,100 per year
A student may attend up to 10 sessions per week of SPARK after school (all available). Parents are billed a $250 deposit upon registration plus $206 per month from September through May. This fee is billed regardless of your child's attendance. Full Day SPARK, Extended SPARK, Holiday SPARK and Pre-Week SPARK are not included in this fee.
Full Year Daily SPARK PLUS – $2,785 per year
Includes all dates of Daily SPARK, Extended Day SPARK, and Full Day SPARK. Holiday SPARK, Pre-Week SPARK, and ASAPs are an additional cost. There are no refunds or credits for this option.
Extended Day SPARK (half days) – Three Hour Session $30; Four+ Hour Session $45
Full Day SPARK (no classes) – $75 per day
Holiday SPARK (school closed) – $75 per day
Pre-registration required; minimum of 10 students required to run program.
Pre-Week SPARK (Aug 27-31) – $50 per day or $200 for the full week
Late Pick-up (after 5:45pm) – $15 per day
- Suzuki Violin and Cello (1st – 2nd Grades) – TBA
- Jazz Band (4th and 5th Grades) – TBA
- Jazz Jam (4th and 5th Grades, must also be in Jazz Band) – TBA
- Fall, Winter, and Spring ASAP prices announced at time of registration. 25% discount for Full Year Daily SPARK participants.