A number of Germantown Academy Upper School students were officially inducted into their respective language's honor society on Tuesday, April 13 and Wednesday, April 14. In total, sixteen students were inducted into their respective language's honor society by the faculty, who spoke almost entirely in French, Spanish, and Chinese during the ceremony.
The Société Honoraire de Français (established in 1949 under the auspices of the Association of Teachers of French), the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica (founded in 1953 by the Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese), and the 全美中文荣誉学会简介 (National Chinese Honor Society, established in 1993) are national language honor societies that celebrate the achievements of advanced French, Spanish, and Chinese students. Selection for Germantown Academy's local chapters of these organizations is based on the eligibility criteria set forth by the national organizations. Those criteria include:
- Overall cumulative scholarship
- Positive influence in the school community
- Successful completion of Level 3 of the language at the honors level and enrollment in Level 4 Honors or above of the language
- High academic achievement in the study of the modern language
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering the study and use of modern languages
- Active membership and leadership in language and/or language-related cultural activities
The following students were honored:
Inducted by Linda Test, Co-Chair Upper School Modern Language Department and Upper School French Teacher.
- Jack Galloway '22
- Annabel Hellman '22
- Stefan Lyntton '21
- Candice Medina '22
- Riya Palkar '22
Inducted by Carol Ayers, Co-Chair Upper School Modern Language Department and Upper School Spanish Teacher.
- Moforehan Abinusawa '22
- Clara Alger '22
- Sangeetha Bhuyan '22
- Blythe Berlinger '22
- Patrick Tronoski '22
Inducted by Tsung Tsai, Upper School Chinese Teacher.
- 卜杰克 Jack Brookman '22
- 顧玫 Alexis Goodridge '22
- 韩凯思 Chris Hackley '21
- 徐雅阁 Jake Hsu '22
- 康赞可 Zach Kotik '22
- 王德兰 Daelyn Nwaobasi '21