Every year, on the second Saturday of December, Germantown Academy Upper School Honors musicians compete in the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association District 11 Band/Orchestra Auditions. The competition includes musicians from all public and private schools in Bucks and Montgomery counties, and is for a chance to sit in one of the finest student music ensembles in the state.
"We are so proud of the hard work, perseverance and confidence that our musicians displayed on that day," said All-School Band Director Jeremy Correnti. "All participating Honors musicians worked with their private teachers towards mastery of a professional level Concerto or Sonata and had a true test of their grit as they performed these pieces for the PMEA judges."
What is particularly exciting is that the GA students broke some school records with SIX GA musicians landing top spots in BOTH District Band and District Orchestra!
Huge shout outs to:
- Andrew Freas '19, percussion, Selected for District 11 Band (student of Matthew Kallend)
- Garrett Comrie '20, bassoon, Selected for District 11 Band and Orchestra (student of Emeline Chong)
- Kenny Gong '20, alto saxophone, Selected for District 11 Band (student of Charly Salinger)
- Sam Love '20, trumpet, Selected for District 11 Band and Orchestra (student of Anthony Prisk)
- Matt Sandifer '20, trumpet, Selected for District 11 Band (student of Rich Wilhelm)
- Justin Weiss '21, percussion, Selected for District 11 Band and Orchestra (student of Matthew Kallend)
A few fun facts:
- Andrew, Garrett, and Kenny won their auditions for the second consecutive year!
- GA had never previously won a single trumpet audition, and both Matt and Sam won at the same audition, with Sam finishing second overall!
- Percussionists technically have to take two auditions, one on snare drum, and one on mallet percussion. While it is certainly an accomplishment to win either one of these auditions, Justin is the first GA percussionist to win both on the same day, finishing first on mallets and third on snare!
"Learning professional-level music is a long and difficult process, and performing for adjudication makes for a stressful day," said Correnti. "A hearty congratulations to all GA musicians who took part in the audition, and especially those who had such astonishing success!"
Winners of the student orchestra competition performed with the PMEA District 11 Orchestra on January 12 at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School. Winners of the student band competition will perform with the PMEA District 11 Band on January 25 at 7pm at Pottsgrove High School.