We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Position Purpose: The Upper School Biology Teacher teaches Upper School Science courses with an emphasis in Biology. The successful candidate will also have the ability to teach related subjects, including Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, and/or Physics. We are seeking candidates for a full-time position to join our community beginning August 2023. This is a 10-month position with an excellent array of benefits and a competitive salary.
We are seeking candidates who…
- Have at least two years of experience teaching students in grades 9-12 using best pedagogical practices.
- Hold a degree in Biology or a related field.
- Are excited to work with and support upper school-aged students (Grades 9-12).
- Demonstrate a commitment to student-centered learning.
- Demonstrate a collaborative and growth mindset as a teacher and professional.
- Possess the cultural competency necessary for working with a diverse population in an equitable and inclusive community.
- Demonstrate the flexibility to use technology in support of student learning and other professional responsibilities.
- Communicate well, both in writing and verbally, with colleagues, students, and families.
- Model a culture of flexible, continuous learning to challenge and support students.
Core Job Responsibilities
This role is a full-time teaching position with the following major responsibilities:
- Teach four sections of Science, emphasizing Biology, with the possible addition of other Science courses, including potentially Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, and/or Physics.
- Serve as homeroom advisor for a group of Upper School students.
- Be a leader in the school’s co-curricular program in meaningful ways outside the classroom by coaching, leading extra-curricular activities, etc.
- Other responsibilities including attending regular faculty meetings, professional learning communities, in-service days, and other supervision duties as assigned.