We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Position Title: Part-Time Private Music Lesson Instructor - Voice
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Position Purpose: The part-time voice instructor provides private lessons to 6th – 12th grade students. The commitment for this position is 1-3 days a week with availability between the hours of 12:25-3:00pm being especially crucial. The applicant must be willing to give in-person lessons with the ability to also give Zoom lessons as necessary. We are seeking a candidate for this part-time position to join our community late August 2023. The compensation is highly competitive, and the instructor is paid per lesson.
- Organize weekly studio schedules, working closely with students to set a lesson time
- Promote singing, bringing excitement and energy to students and their music learning
- Implement a wide array of voice pedagogy
- Organize and attend a yearly studio recital
- Collaborate with Choir Director and Musical Theatre Director on preparing students for joint performances
- Work closely with the Private Music Lesson Coordinator to help lead a growing studio
- Contribute meaningfully to the larger school community
- Candidates will demonstrate excellent work ethic, positive attitude, energized teaching, flexible collaboration, and empathy
- Attend the yearly private lesson parent meet & greet/annual music faculty meeting
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in vocal music performance or music education with voice emphasis, or equivalent teaching/performance experience
- Exhibit master vocal performance skills, including classical, popular, and jazz styles
- Ability to develop meaningful and constructive relationships with students
- Demonstrate proficient piano skills, as needed for teaching one-on-one vocal instruction
- Previous experience as a voice instructor and a significant choral background strongly preferred