We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Position Purpose: We are seeking a part-time Violin/Viola Instructor that is available 2-3 days a week to give in-person instruction with the ability to provide lessons on Zoom as needed. The compensation is highly competitive and based on studio enrollment. Instructor must be available to give lessons both during and after school.
- Assist in development and implementation of Suzuki violin curriculum for 1st and 2nd grade program.
- Recruit, instruct, and retain students on violin (1st-12th grades) and viola (3rd-12th grades) annually
- Prepare students for a yearly violin/viola recital and any other collaborations at GA
- Responsible for collaborating with ensemble directors to ensure success in performance groups
- Demonstrate commitment to departmental engagements including collaborative interaction with performing arts faculty and staff
- Collaborate with private lesson coordinator and other instructors on curriculum and scheduling
- Communicate regularly with families and respond to issues involving private lesson scheduling
- Ensure that all rules and policies of the private lesson program are followed judiciously
- Responsible for identifying new program needs and possibilities for expansion as they arise
- Suzuki violin training through the SAA is required
- At least two years of teaching experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree in music performance or music education is required