We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Position Purpose: Teach K-5th Spanish classes as part of specialist curriculum. Collaborate with Lower School administrators and World Language department to coordinate, align, implement, map, and review the PreK-5 Spanish curriculum, including curriculum, assessment, and progress reports. Provide parent newsletters, workshops and individual parent communication as needed.We are seeking candidates for a full-time position to join our community beginning August 2023. This is a 10-month position with an excellent array of benefits and a competitive salary.
We are seeking candidates who…
- Have at least two years of experience teaching students in Spanish, preferably at the elementary level using best pedagogical practices
- Hold an undergraduate degree in Spanish or in Elementary Education
- Have experience living in the target language and culture
- Have native or near-native fluency
- Have a friendly, patient, and welcoming presence
- Are excited to work with, support, and buid a vibrant community of learners for lower school-aged students (Kindergarten-5th grade)
- Have the ability to employ varied methods of instruction and assessment, and to integrate new skills and innovative methodologies in the classroom
- Have experience with ACTFL world-readiness standards, comprehensible-input based language teaching strategies, and project-based learning to promote student engagement and interaction
- Demonstrate a commitment to student-centered learning
- Demonstrate a collaborative and growth mindset as a teacher and professional
- Possess the cultural competency necessary for working with a diverse population in an equitable and inclusive community
- Demonstrate the flexibility to use technology in support of student learning and other professional responsibilities
- Communicate well, both in writing and verbally, with colleagues, students, and families
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills, and the ability to focus on and manage multiple tasks efficiently and productively
- Models a culture of flexible, continuous learning to challenge and support students
Core Job Responsibilities
This role is a full-time teaching position with the following major responsibilities:
- Teach K-5th grade Spanish specials classes
- Collaborate with World Language department and Lower School administrators to coordinate, align, implement, map, and review the PreK-5th grade Spanish program, including curriculum assessment, and student progress reports
- Provide parent newsletters and workshops as required in the program
- Communicate with parents regarding student progress, concerns, or respond to parent questions by email, phone, or in-person meetings
- Participate in Lower School life in meaningful ways outside of the classroom (cultural heritage months, assembly programming, etc.)
- Other responsibilities including attending regular faculty meetings, professional learning communities, in-service days, and other supervision duties as assigned.