We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
The Upper School Counselor/Psychologist and Study Skills teacher will report to the Director of Counseling Services and Upper School Head and will collaborate with the GA clinical team. The role requires particular expertise in the areas of adolescent social and emotional development, resiliency skill building, counseling strategies for prevention, treatment, consultation, and crisis management. This role also requires experience in the areas of executive function, learning support and study skills. It is expected that the teacher will work collaboratively with school leadership and teachers to identify and implement effective strategies for student achievement. This is an interim 10-month position beginning in August 2023.
We are seeking candidates who…
- Have at least 2-5 years of experience as a counselor with adolescents
- Hold a Master’s or Doctoral degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, School Psychology, and/or Social Work
- Are excited to work with and support upper school-aged students (Grades 9-12)
- Demonstrate a collaborative and growth mindset as a counselor and professional
- Possess the cultural competency necessary for working with a diverse population in an equitable and inclusive community
- Demonstrate the flexibility to use technology in support of student learning and other professional responsibilities
- Communicate well, both in writing and verbally, with colleagues, students, and families
- Model a culture of flexible, continuous learning to challenge and support students
Core Job Responsibilities
This role is a one-year interim, full-time counseling and study skills support position with the following major responsibilities:
- Provide short-term individual and/or group counseling to students in grades 9-12.
- Support students in grades 9-12 with executive function, study skills, and general learning support.
- Provide classroom teachers with feedback and make recommendations for individual students.
- Proactively monitor student progress and write twice yearly comments as requested.
- Consult with faculty and parents on the well-being of Upper School students.
- Work with the US Psychologist, the Counseling department, and the Health and Wellness department on the development of psychoeducational groups, Tier 1 levels of support (prevention) and other programming to educate and support the Germantown Academy community on issues related to mental health and well-being.
- Serve on Upper School Germantown Academy Intervention Network team.
- Assist counselors and student support specialists across the school as needed.
- Teach 9th grade SEL seminar 1x/7 day rotation.
- Participate fully in the life of the Upper School by serving as a Co-Advisor and House team member.
- Help lead or support extracurricular activities in areas of expertise and interest.
- Other responsibilities include attending regular faculty meetings, professional learning communities, in-service days, and other supervision duties as assigned.