Germantown Academy, located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, is seeking qualified, experienced candidates for a position of Full-Time Interim Upper School Counselor/Psychologist (grades 9-12), beginning August 2022. This is a 10-month position which offers a highly competitive salary. The Academy, founded in 1759, is a non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory school of more than 1,200 students in Grades PK-12, located in the northwest suburbs of Philadelphia on a campus of 126 acres.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds. At Germantown Academy, we are committed to creating a learning environment that is as diverse as the broader, global world of which we are a part. We value this diversity because it makes us a stronger community, enriches our thinking, and helps us to develop our collaborative spirit.
The Upper School Counselor/Psychologist will report to the Director of Counseling Services and will collaborate with the GA clinical team. The role requires particular expertise in the areas of adolescent social and emotional development, resiliency skill building, counseling strategies for prevention, treatment, consultation, and crisis management.
- Provide short-term individual and/or group counseling to students in grades 9-12
- Consult with faculty and parents on emotional wellbeing of Upper School students
- Teach 9th grade SEL seminar 1x/7 day rotation for 1 semester
- Assist Middle School psychologist with counseling needs
- Serve on Upper School Germantown Academy Intervention Network team
- Participate fully in the life of the Upper School by serving as an Advisor and House team member.
- Help lead or support extracurricular activities in areas of expertise and interest.
- Work with the US psychologist, the counseling department, and the Health and Wellness department on the development of psychoeducational groups, Tier 1 levels of support (prevention) and other programming to educate and support the Germantown Academy community on issues related to mental health and well-being.
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, School Psychology, and/or Social Work
- 2-5 years’ experience as a counselor with adolescents
- Demonstrable group facilitation and/or teaching experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work collaboratively as part of a team