Germantown Academy, located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, is seeking qualified, experienced candidates for a full-time position of General Maintenance/HVAC Technician beginning as soon as possible. This is a 12-month position which offers an excellent array of benefits and a highly competitive salary. The Academy, founded in 1759, is a non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory school of more than 1,200 students in Grades PK-12, located in the northwest suburbs of Philadelphia on a campus of 126 acres.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds. At Germantown Academy, we are committed to creating a learning environment that is as diverse as the broader, global world of which we are a part. We value this diversity because it makes us a stronger community, enriches our thinking, and helps us to develop our collaborative spirit.
Position Purpose: Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the General Maintenance/HVAC worker will support the overall well-being and upkeep of the facility to ensure a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and all members of the community.
- Responsible to perform maintenance and repair duties which assures the preservation and upkeep of the School, its buildings and fixtures. Provide physical services for all repairs and renovation programs not performed by others.
- Respond to requests made through FMX, by school administration and supervisor.
- Observe all safety regulations and policies.
- In cases of emergencies, inclement weather or disaster, the General Maintenance worker will be required to report to work and work overtime on weekends, holidays and snow days.
- Maintain and provide inventory/order to supervisor for all related materials.
- Supports department in all aspects of general maintenance as required for furniture set ups/breakdowns for School events, snow removal and snow maintenance; parking assistance and correction of emergency conditions such as sewer back-ups or water flooding of classrooms/other areas.
- Provide written lists of noted deficiencies within the building to the Supervisor. Such lists should outline specific conditions or situations, exact locations, and recommendations for corrective action.
- Daily performance of duties shall be carried out with respect for faculty, staff and the School community, its building and grounds.
- Required to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Repair and maintain all existing heating, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment.
- Monitor and adjust equipment using Automatic Temperature Controls (ATC) systems.
- Install newly acquired equipment (AC & Refrigeration).
- Relocate equipment as needed.
- Diagnose and perform electrical repairs and maintenance to mechanical equipment.
- Order and receive materials related to assigned equipment and maintain orderly inventory.
- Coordinate outside assistance with heating/AC/Refrigeration contractors as needed.
- Assist in reviewing all requests for contracted repair work and make recommendations as appropriate.
Required Physical Responsibilities:
- Ability to easily lift 50 pounds throughout the course of an eight – ten-hour day.
- Ability to walk, bend, stand, do manual labor throughout an eight – ten-hour day.
- Physical ability to complete grounds, fields and general maintenance projects.
- Ability and agility to operate all maintenance equipment (i.e.: snow / leaf blower, hi-lift and ladders).
- Visual acuity of at least 20/40 (with corrective lenses if needed) sufficient to maintain accurate records, read instructions and complete inventory and forms.
- Ability to speak and understand English sufficiently to give directions and communicate with supervisor, vendors and contractors.
- Ability to read and write English legibly and accurately and to utilize necessary computer maintenance programs.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Trade school or advanced degree in HVAC.
- EPA certification preferred as dictated by AC/Refrigeration coolant laws.
- Preferred mechanical, plumbing, or electrical journeyman’s license.
- Training in pneumatic and/or electric controls
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical system prints and wiring schematics.
- Must have 5 years’ experience in Heating/AC/Refrigeration.
- Must Have High School Diploma.
- Must have valid driver’s license & clean driving record.
- Must maintain a positive, can-do approach to the work at hand.
- Must meet required standards of performance with minimum supervision.
- Must be able to communicate comfortably with the full range of school staff, faculty, administration and students.
- Needs to anticipate problems and undertake solutions without prompting.
- Need to provide continuous attention to quality, detail and final results.
- Must be able to perform all basic duties of a General Maintenance Worker in addition to the specific skills listed above.