We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices. A founding member of the prestigious Inter-Academic Athletic League, Germantown Academy prides itself on a rich history of athletics, generations of talented student-athletes, and opportunities to explore an incredible array of athletic experiences for all interested students. Typically, almost one-third of each graduating class goes on to pursue athletics at the collegiate level.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Position Purpose: The Associate Athletic Director reports to the Athletic Director. We are seeking candidates for a full-time position to join our community beginning July 2023. This is a 12-month position with an excellent array of benefits and a competitive salary. In addition, 100% tuition remission is available for a total of two children who qualify for admission and for whom space is available.
- Works in conjunction with Athletic Director to develop and then oversee annual operating budget for Athletics.
- Develops and maintains contest schedules for all Middle School and Upper School programs. Ensures timely communication for all changes, postponements and cancellations.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive schedules for all athletics facilities.
- Coordinates ordering of all new equipment and uniforms, including maintaining all necessary records and information regarding invoices and packing slips.
- Coordinates with all relevant departments for the planning of major athletic events on and off campus.
- Schedules officials for all Middle School and Upper School home contests. Works with various officiating organizations to schedule and confirm officials for all home contests. Ensures timely payment of officials and maintains accurate records of payments.
- Organizes daily operations for practice and game days, grades 6-12.
- Serves as on-site event manager for home contests.
- Serves on Inter-Ac, PAISAA, and other committees; represents the department at Conference meetings; and serves on standing and ad hoc committees directly and indirectly related to Athletics.
- Serves as liaison with various administrators, faculty, staff, parents, and the general community.
- Leads weekly staff meetings.
- Manages the annual update and distribution of the departmental coaches handbook. Assists in policy development for the athletics programs and Germantown Academy.
- Establishes and maintains relationship with appropriate regional and national athletics associations.
- Advises students on general and sport-related matters. Refers students to appropriate sources, as necessary.
- Co-chairs internal athletic committees.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
- A master’s degree is preferred;
- 1-3 years’ of experience in athletic administration.
- Demonstrated administrative experience as a leader and supervisor;
- Experience with and knowledge of Middle and Upper School students and their developmental needs;
- Experience in a wide range of relevant athletic programs.
- Outstanding teaching credentials and the ability to teach one course in the Middle or Upper School.
- Ability to coach multiple sports, at least one at US varsity level.
- Exceptional communication skills.