Skip to Section Subnavigation Skip to Page Content
Skip to Page Content
Dick O'Hern -
Head Coach for Boys & Girls
Lauren Lehane - Boys Head Coach
801 Washington Street
For those who want to drive: The racecourse is on the Schuylkill River between Strawberry Mansion bridge and the Columbia bridge, upriver from Boathouse Row. Race day traffic in either direction on Kelly Drive is detoured off Kelly Drive into Fairmount Park, where regatta parking ($12) is located. Shuttle buses run every 15 – 20 minutes down to the river from the parking lots. The shuttles drop fans at either the Canoe Club (near GA’s tent) or the Grandstand at the finish line.
To find GA’s hospitality tent: Parents and student-athletes are normally at the tent throughout the day. We are located about 200 yards downstream of the new St. Joe’s University/St. Joe’s Prep boathouse, and that is just downstream of the old Canoe Club. The tent is black and has a GA banner on it. Stop by, have some food and drink, and watch the races
In the early days of rowing (the late 18th Century) Thomas Eakins, a now world renowned artist, painted the Biglin Brothers in a pair on the Schuylkill River . Here is a reproduction of that painting that gives the ambiance of those first days of rowing when GA was one of the early participants.
GA has been part of the Schuykill Navy scene since those first rowing days in 1897. Doubtlessly the most outstanding oarsmen were Bob and Wally Pflaumer, who rowed in the early 1930’s and went on to win gold at the Olympics. Wally Pflaumer returned to GA to become a science teacher just after the school moved from Germantown to Fort Washington.
This picture of the 1930 GA Crew reveals the popularity of the sport at the school. In 1930’s the school graduated about 20-25 boys a year and the Upper School (grades 7-12) population was just over 200. Beyond crew, the school fielded baseball, tennis, and track teams. The fifth and sixth persons from the left are the Pflaumer brothers who went on to row in the Olympics.
Friends of GA Crew