Middle School Athletics PolicY
The joys and disappointments of competition, the satisfactions of teamwork, the beginnings of enduring friendships, and the opportunities for leadership, as well as the development of athletic skills, make sports an important part of life in Middle School.
In Middle School we value participation and skill development, but we do want our athletic programs to be competitive. Three or four sports are available in each season for boys and for girls. We want all of our students to have the opportunity to compete, and we would like the community to have a sense of pride in the program.
Student-athletes who aspire to play at a competitive level beyond Middle School should attend summer camps and participate on township teams. Coaches can recommend camps to their players. Germantown Academy offers athletic camps in the summer. In the event of a conflict between schedules, we expect students who play for GA to give priority to their school.
- All Middle School teams are grouped by ability or age, whichever is more appropriate for that particular sport.
- The actual number of teams varies each season depending upon the numbers of students who wish to participate in the sport of their choice.
- Each sport has set a minimum number of students necessary to warrant an additional team.
- The Middle School Sports program is participation based.
- All Coaches are instructed to give each athlete as much playing time as possible, providing that the student-athlete has met all team membership requirements.